Still working on it, the last couple days I haven't made much progress (but a LOT was made the few days before that) as I've been procrastinating on the hardest part of the code.
The hardest part IMO is getting a dynamic mapping system going. You've seen some of my crappy versions in the past, here is a new version, with 7.5 LY squares, for 3075:
It isn't perfect, for a few reasons. One, its only really working at all with squares, I haven't even touched the hex translation stuff yet, though honestly that shouldn't be *too* hard. Its also not real fast, and never will be, though once you generate it I'll try to cache it so you only have to regenerate it if you modify system ownership.
But now a "bug" I see with my method. Right now I'm taking a count of the number of systems within jump radius, and using that number to determine what faction "owns" the cell. While it works fine in most situations, when it comes to those little arms that go off from one faction to another, it breaks completely. This is because while there may be a system or two in say WOB Protectorate space, there isn't enough to be more than the WOB systems in range, so the world gets drawn with the wrong background. While typing this I came up with the idea to automatically make any cell the same as any system within the cell. There are a few exceptions with cells that have 2+ systems in them, but its looking better. Here is a close up of the protectorate so you can see what I mean:
However, it may look better if I get my system to grid translation working correctly. Its late, and I may be making stupid mistakes, but as you can see by some of the dots the dots/grids aren't lining up just right.
I *really* suck with geometry, even 2D stuff, this stuff is really easy math, and I need to go take me a class or two in it (even though I CLEP'ed it for my degree, I simply don't *know* it).
Now for the great news. As soon as I finish this one little thing, this one "feature", I'll release a new version of cartographer for everybody. The amount of new features and fixes are, well, long enough I think I'll just skip posting them ;)
A couple of screenshots:
OMG, what is that!
See all them little bitty dots? Remember a reference to the 110,000 uninhabited systems out there? muhahahaha
Looking for something? Notice I changed the font *in program* :)
Oh yeah, thats a REAL nebula image backdrop!
What kind of mad options are those?!?!?!
Uhhhh, this aint just a mapping program anymore is it?
DISCLAIMER: The features that are in red haven't been written yet, and may not be on this next release. Most of them are relatively easy though, and once I get the influence mapping working correctly I'll starting knocking them out within a few days (days=days coding, not actual real world days).
Btw, I'm *really* starting to kick around the idea of creating a universe, *very* similar to BT but all names/factions will change (map roughly same scale, but different systems in difference places too). By doing this I can freely create a full game system without worrying about canon and the lack thereof. If anybody wants to help come up with unit names, faction names, and world names, I'd be grateful, even that simple stuff is beyond my creativity. I can do all the rest of the code though ;)