So the moderators were nice enough over on the BT forums to give me, wait for it...
A PERMENANT BAN!!!!
What for you may ask? Posting the data on the quirks list out of strategic operations. Apparently its ok to copy/paste large chunks of text from books, as people do it all the time, so it must have been personal. I never flamed people, and was nearly at 1000 postings, so go figure.
Granted, I could go create a new account in milliseconds, but fuck em, they are Nazi's full of themselves anyway. It is annoying I can't even respond to PMs though, but real Nazi's would be ok with that.
Now that this happened, I can now do the following without remorse:
- No longer pay for their products or in any way support CGL
- Freely open and distribute information from their products
- No longer write software specifically for their products
- No longer ask people to buy their products or support the IP
- Release a competing game system without worry I may be negatively impacting BT writers and creators
Now some of you may be thinking I'm full of myself or something, and I rightly deserved to be banned... maybe,I can't argue with their logic, but here are my "infractions":
17th May 2011 - Friendly advice regarding rule 1 (personal attacks)
29th June 2011 - First warning (rule 4, no politics or religion)
18th August 2011 Second warning (rule 10; no selling/trading)
4th September 2011 - Third warning (rule 4, no politics or religion), one week posting ban
22nd September 2011 - Fourth warning (rule 3, confrontational behaviour)
25th September 2011 - Fifth warning (rule 10, no selling/trading); one month posting ban
The one on 25 sep is valid, that was my bad, the other on 18 Aug I was just letting local folks to head to the game store that weekend, I was bringing my stuff if they wanted any (no prices or anything, just a "make sure you show up" thing, it was in a dedicated thread to their group). I have yet to find out what the 17th may thing was, I never attack people personally. The whole politics/religion thing, well, it wasn't a "Go Romney" or some other stupid comment, it was comparing why things could work in the BTU based on our own history, and wasn't even offensive. The one on 22nd sep I was banned because when asking about system coordinates, I kept saying "TPTB won't release them". ANYWAY.....
The rest of ya'll may be saying "all shucks, I wanted him to finish something", but here is the great news! I am no longer bound by the silly BTU. My MUL ground to a halt the last few days as I find uncorrected error after uncorrected error in record sheet and TRO books. The BT folks really just don't give a crap about quality when it comes to the crap they release. Their errata is pathetic, and I've been buying every book that came out in both DTF and PDF in the hopes that when errors were found, they'd update the PDF... .but nooooo, they don't do that, they hate their customers. I've felt this way a long time, but tried to bite my tongue in the hopes I was just mistaken.
Oh, and btw, I emailed Randall about releasing all my MUL data and got no reply. So apparently it is ok. If you don't defend your trademarks, you can loose the trademark on it (and the licensing). It isn't formatted yet, but if anybody wants a raw excel file email me at bad_syntax @yahoo.com. Once I get it formatted I'll toss it into SQL, put it online till I get a C&D, then post it in a country that doesn't care about C&D's... if TPTB don't care about their products, why should I?
Ok, so now what am I doing you ask? Here is what I've been doing:
- The MUL. I've gone through all the buildings, including the castle brian stuff (filled full of errors!). I also went through all the variants that were only in older products and got them updated. I still need to cleanup support vehicles, but that shouldn't be too bad. Then enter in DS/WS/JS/SS, which again shouldn't be too bad. I need to be motivated to work on it again, which may not happen until they release some new book or something.
- The Reunification War, the board game. I've been designing out a game based on the SLDF conquering of the TDF in the reunification war. I have about 60% of the base rules complete, and was finishing up the map. Sorry that its still in excel, its easier to edit the map in that mode, eventually it'll be hexes. The movement is the same tho, 4 hexes (er squares) per 30 LY. The Hyades and Pleiades cluster have additional planets in the open area as there is no way to have a map with only 1 system per hex/square, even at 1 LY per hex! Also the counters, which may not have accurate #s yet, but the format is pretty final. If anybody wants the map in excel let me know, it'll print on 6 sheets of standard paper and has .7" square (I think).
- So, next thing in my list, I'll work on creating an alternate universe to BT, but one with many of the same elements. Big advance tech faction, breaks up, technology lost, lots of wars, comes back, etc. I'll create all new units based on things I can find in history. I don't have to worry about scaling at this point, as this is only a board game (I'll be using it to test out some of the combat/production systems before coding it into the final computer version). Each faction will have a flavor, everybody won't feel the same. It will have giant walkers, power armor, tanks, aircraft, gateships (jumpships), warships, and assault ships (dropships). I can produce all the numbers myself, which has been a pain with the BTU.
- I setup some PHPBB forum software on my old server recently but decided it was too much work for me to maintain. If there are any big fans to what I'm doing out there, or even BT fans (hehe) who are familiar enough with it to set it up and mod it, I'd be happy to run the hardware. Only 1 rule, "don't be an ass", everything else is fine. I can also give you RDP access to my server, and all the "goodies" that entails ;)
- One thing for all the folks that think DX and VB don't mix, I completely recreated the DOW2 control panel a while back using it. The control is fully functional and object based. Each button has highlights, clicks, mouseovers, different states, scaling, font/text, even animated buttons.Oh, and it'll be fully customizable in anything i write, so you can make your own, move buttons, etc. Even though it is IDENTICAL to the DOW2 interface, it is 100% created and rendered by me, using images from the DOW2 game.
And this one, which has little animated green 40K hormagaunts moving across the map, which you can shoot at with sound and animated bullets:
Wouldn't take much for me to put mechs on it, add network code, and let you fight lots of friends in real time ;)
So, no more data entry and data mining of BT stuff, and honestly after entering in over 4500 units and seeing all the errors, its a wonder I even finished (well mostly). But all the projects I've been working on, even cartographer, will still get finished, but none of them will be specific to battletech anymore, that universe is dead to me unless Jordan Weisman, and only him, wants to ask me for something.