Saturday, April 14, 2012

MUL, almost done

A few of you have requested the MUL, It is a huge XLS file that many of you will hate opening.  Once I get the data cleaned up I'll throw it in a database and build a website around it so you can just rip it that way (bandwidth permitting).  Right now I'm in my final phase of cleanup, and will be finishing it up maybe by the end of this weekend.


If for some reason I decide not to spend the time to do that (kinda likely, I have to at least try to run for congress, even if my desire is to loose), I will throw the excel file up here for all to download... even though I may not really use it in the future, I spend hundreds of hours putting this data together, and have started this probably 5 times over the last decade.  I finished thanks to my wife letting me not work for a month.


Anyway, just to wet your appetite a bit, here are some notes I'm putting together on it.

615 out of 5491 canon MUL units have not been released yet.  However, all of these units may not be valid, and when I use only valid MUL entries, there are only 256 of my 5153 units are not on the canon MUL


Here are the 175 products I used as sources for my data:
AE2ER
AT1E
AT2E
Battle of Coventry
Battlepack:4th SW
BattleSpace
Black Thorns
Black Widow Company
Bloodright
Chaos March
CityTech 1E
Clan Jade Falcon
Clan Wolf
Combat Equipment
ComStar
Cranston Snord's Irregulars
DATP:Liao
DATP:Vega
Day of Heroes
DOS:Jason Zaklan
DOS:Youling Zhanshi
DS&JS
ED:Age of War
ED:Golden Century
Explorer Corps
Fall of Terra
First Strike
Fist and Falcon
FM:CC
FM:Crusader Clans
FM:CS
FM:DC
FM:FS
FM:FWL
FM:LA
FM:Mercenaries:Supplemental Update
FM:Periphery
FM:Warden Clans
Frst and Falcon
HB:Davion
HB:Liao
HB:Marik
HB:Periphery
HB:Steiner
HexPack Promotion 1
House Liao
HTP:Galtor
HTP:Glengarry
HTP:Mallory's World
HTP:Misery
Interstellar Players
Invading Clans
JHS:3070
JHS:3072
JHS:3076
JHS:Blake Documents
JHS:Terra
Jihad Conspiracies
Jihad Final Reckoning
JTP:Atreus
JTP:Dieron
JTP:Luthien
JTP:New Avalon
JTP:Sian
JTP:Tharkad
Klondike
Lamenkovs Liability
Liberation Of Terra 1
LostTech
Luthien
MapPack:Solaris VII
McCarron's Armored Cavalry
Mechwarrior Companion
MW1E
Northwind Highlanders
Objective Raids
OTP:Death to Mercenaries
OTP:Death to Mercenaries
OTP:Falcon Incursion
OTP:Red Corsair
Periphery
Reinforcements 2
Reunification War
Rhonda's Irregulars
Royalty and Rogues
RS:3025 & 3026
RS:3025 Reinforcements
RS:3039
RS:3039 Unabridged
RS:3050
RS:3050 Upgrade Clan/SLDF
RS:3050 Upgrade IS
RS:3050 Upgrade Print
RS:3050 Upgrade Unabridged Clan/SLDF
RS:3050 Upgrade Unabridged IS
RS:3055 & 3058
RS:3055 Unabridged
RS:3055 Upgrade
RS:3058 Unabridged Clan/SLDF/BA
RS:3058 Unabridged IS
RS:3058 Upgrade v1.1
RS:3060
RS:3060 Print
RS:3060 Unabridged
RS:3067
RS:3072
RS:3075 Print
RS:3075 Unabridged
RS:3085 Print
RS:3085 Unabridged - Old Is The New New
RS:3085 Unabridged - Phoenix
RS:3085 Unabridged - The Cutting Edge
RS:Aerotech 2
RS:Klondike
RS:MWDA1
RS:Prototypes
RS:Upgrades
RS:V1:Light Mechs
RS:V2:Medium Mechs
RS:V3:Heavy Mechs
RS:V4:Assault Mechs
RS:V5:Vehicles
RS:V6:3055 Mechs
Salazar Tsakalotos
Solaris The Reaches
Somerset Strikers
Sorenson's Sabres
Sword and Dragon
Tales of the Black Widow
The Dragon Roars
TRO:2750
TRO:3025
TRO:3025 Reprint
TRO:3026
TRO:3026 Revised
TRO:3039
TRO:3050
TRO:3050 Revised
TRO:3050 Upgrade
TRO:3055
TRO:3055 Upgrade
TRO:3057
TRO:3057R
TRO:3058
TRO:3058 Upgrade
TRO:3060
TRO:3067
TRO:3075
TRO:3085
TRO:3085 Supp
TRO:Phoenix
TRO:Prototypes
TRO:Vehicles
Tukayyid
Unbound
War of Reaving
Wolf and Blake Starterbook
Wolf's Dragoons
XTRO
XTRO:Boondocks
XTRO:Clans
XTRO:ComStar
XTRO:Corporations
XTRO:Davion
XTRO:Gladiators
XTRO:Kurita
XTRO:Liao
XTRO:Marik
XTRO:Mercs
XTRO:Periphery
XTRO:Pirates
XTRO:PrimitivesV1
XTRO:PrimitivesV2
XTRO:RetroTech
XTRO:Steiner


I downloaded the following from PRI, where I got fluff info, though I may not end up including it in the final document:
hmp_2750
hmp_3025
hmp_3050
hmp_3055_3058
hmp_3060
hmp_3067
hmp_3075
hmp_3085
hmp_3085_se
hmp_exp
hmp_fieldmanuals
hmp_project_phoenix
hmp_rs_da_mechs
hmp_solaris
hmp_upgrades
hmp_clan_refits


1976 Designs
1565 matched
21 had 3 matches
358 had 2 matches
32 had no matches


I then matched up all the entries with their appropriate canon MUL entries (to link back), from 14 MAR 2012.
Total of 5491 canon entries, 542 entries on the canon MUL I have no data for as they aren't published yet, 4472 of these entries have images


So, in the end, I have:
5152 Units entered
178 are not on the MUL
421 either don't have enough information to recreate, or some of the data is questionable
There was 1 unit missing from RS:Reinforcements 1, my page was ripped out, I don't know what it was


Some notes:

  • I have *NO* fluff data, no manufacturing stuff, no big text blocks, just hard data
  • Many of the values are shortend, I use "MicPL" for micro Pulse Laser, or "LRM15:Artemis IV", stuff like that
  • Some of the data isn't consistently entered, mostly equipment.  For example some units may have "2-ERML-RT", others may have "1-ERML-RT" and "1-ERML-RT", and yet others "1-ERML-RT,RT".  I want to clean that up, but the data is still good
  • Some of the page numbers on the TROs/RSs I provide are of a bit, they all need re-indexed, but most of the ones I got the data from are correct
  • Some of the data is formulas.  Armor tons and engine ratings for conventional/mech forces
  • Most battle armor weapons don't show the # of shots on the RS or TRO, I flagged these as incomplete until I can go back through and verify
  • Some of the naming schemes/variants/etc aren't consistent.  I will work on them as I see them to get a good standard.
  • If the MUL didn't have BV, I grabbed it from the TRO, if it wasn't there I used the RS, if no BV I flagged it, but for many units it won't be correct
  • I didn't mark slots for advanced armor on conventional or aerospace forces.  It should be easy enough afterwards.
  • I'm not 100% sure I like the way I put data in for buildings and mobile structures, I was thinking of making each hex its own line, still not sure how I'll do it but the data is in there.
  • There are bound to be lots of errors all over the place, mostly typos, once I get a construction algorithm to verify them it should help clean them up, though with the amount of unfixed errata out there it'll be painful
  • All of the equipment links to another big spreadsheet I put together that has *ALL* the equipment for the universe, and *ALL* the stats for it.  Unfortunately there is a large amount of missing data TPTB seem to not want to fix (I've asked them about it a few times only to be ignored).  This is why some things have short abbreviations.  Hopefully you can figure out what they are easy enough.
  • I tried to make illegal items fix, like the buildings from McCarron's Armored Cavalry, the Super Wasp/Super Griffin, and the original vehicles from the MW1 RPG, some fit better than others.
I'd really like to put together a database that can allow you to submit edits to it, perhaps even in real time, so as you see an issue you can fix it (I'll get an approval log each day to accept any changes as final), but like I mentioned, I am really not sure I can stay motivated with BT after the childish activity on the forums.

Stay Tuned!

No comments:

Post a Comment